Sunday, September 15, 2024

the self-organizing community

I've kept my computer on the linguist list all these years, dumping maybe seven or eight messages a day, trying to keep general tabs on the field and find out when the topic of language as a self-organizing system comes up. Now that I am writing my book (finally) this has become more urgent.

There is no movement of linguists working to show that language is a self-organizing system. There were a few people in years gone by who said it, and a few more who did something about it, but they never really made a movement out of it, or built a groundswell of support for the idea.

There are two possible reasons for this, maybe more. The first is that linguistics is an incredibly complex field, and people go off in these little corners of it, like computational linguistics, and what good is language theory to them? They look at work on natural approaches as, what will this do to me? And since Universal Linguistics didn't run them into the ground, they figure that there's no trashing it out, even if they feel it's wrong. Why bother? Let the Universalists run a cover, write the introductory chapter of the textbook, and they'll keep working their little corner of the field. Don't slam Chomsky, at least not until he dies.

Linguists always had another reason not to slam Chomsky: the left, who partly agreed with him and totally agreed with him on the Vietnam War, relied on his academic authority to give him political authority, i.e. good crisp leftist analysis of government forces doing the wrong thing. To undermine his linguistics would be to undermine his politics, and nobody wanted to do that, even me. I agreed with him on the war, just not on genetic underpinnings of language.

So the self-organizing people came along, and people who paid attention wanted to know how this might change things. Well, it might not at all. The basic building blocks of language are still there, and we haven't decided whether they have genetic origin or just got there by random arbitrary chance. That's what my book is about. But what I'm saying is that the evidence I can find points to a self-organizing system, one in which the smallest actors, human perceptual models, interact with each other. I will lay this out in the book. I don't expect the field to change overnight.

I'm somewhat surprised nobody's done this. In fact maybe they have, and I just haven't found it. But no matter, even if they have, I'm going my own way anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment